What We Believe:
CrossBridge Christian Church is affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), a global community of faith of approximately three-quarters of a million Christians across 3,700 congregations. With a healthy respect for diversity, Disciples of Christ congregations come in all shapes and sizes.
At CrossBridge we believe:
- God is the creator and sustainer of all life and every human being is created in God’s image.
- Jesus Christ is the savior of the world, the son of the living God, and that a personal relationship with Christ transforms lives.
- The Holy Spirit is available to all people and responsible for the inspiration and energy to accomplish all things within the church.
- God continues to speak to us through the Bible, and we are devoted to the study of the scriptures for discerning God’s will for our lives.
- In baptism by immersion when a person is old enough to make that decision on their own, although we honor other baptismal traditions.
- The Lord’s Supper is the central experience of worship and is open to all believers in Jesus Christ.
- That becoming a fully-devoted follower of Jesus Christ is a goal every Christian should strive for, and that it’s a life-long process.
- In freedom and diversity in Christian thought and interpretation, guided by the Bible, the Holy Spirit, study, and prayer.
In June of 2002, Rev. Dr. Jim Gordon, pastor of East Lincoln Christian Church, and his wife, Kathy, responded to God’s gentle but persistent call to plant a new church in north Lincoln. A small group of fellow pioneers, including nine members of East Lincoln Christian Church, joined Jim and Kathy in this faith-venture; committing not only their time and talents, but also their earthly treasure, to help make this God-inspired dream a reality.
The first worship service of this new church was held on the second Sunday of November in a refurbished office building located at Fletcher Avenue and North 28th Street. The building, provided rent-free by a member of the original church-plant team, served the needs of the congregation well, but was at times very tight. In May of 2005, CrossBridge moved into the current multi-purpose facility at 2800 CrossBridge Place (27th and Enterprise).
With increased worship space and ample room for children and youth ministries, the new church grew quickly. Within a few short years, Sunday worship averaged 300 people! Much of its growth was young families joining the worship experience, although middle-aged and older adults feel at home at CrossBridge.
In addition to our numerical growth, CrossBridge grew in its commitment to ministry and outreach during its formative years. The commitment is best demonstrated by the growing number of church members who participated in annual mission trips to the Gulf to assist in rebuilding efforts after hurricanes Katrina and Rita. There was significant involvement in the local mission field, as well.
In 2009, Pastor Jim made the difficult decision to retire. Since then, CrossBridge has been re-imagining how God has equipped us to serve our community. We are extremely excited about the things God is currently doing and look forward to helping people discover their God-given purpose and how to use our gifts to serve those around us.